Save time with our cheat sheets, fact sheets, checklists & books!

March 6, 2009

How do I report amount withhled for taxes?


How do I report amount withhled for taxes?

Question I received a distribution of rollover eligible assets from my 401(k) plan and later rolled over the amount to my IRA. The rollover was completed within the 60-day period, including the amount that was withheld for taxes, which I made up from my regular savings. How should I report the transaction on my tax return?


Since the amount was rolled over within 60-days, it is not taxable. Therefore, you should report it on your tax form ( Form 1040) as a non-taxable distribution. The gross distribution amount should be put on Line 16a of Form 1040 or line 12a of Form 1040A. Input zero on line 16b/12b to indicate that none of the amount is taxable. You will receive a copy of IRS Form 1099-R from the payer, reporting the distribution. Be sure to provide a copy to your tax preparer and let him/her know that you rolled over the amount within 60-days. Your IRA custodian should provide you with a copy of IRS Form 5498, reflecting the rollover contribution. Form 1099-R should be mailed to you by January 31 and Form 5498 by May 31. For instance, if the distribution and rollover occurred during last year, your 1099-R is required to be issued by January 31 of this year and your Form 5498 by May 31 of this year.

The amount withheld for income tax will either increase any tax refund for which you are eligible, or decrease any income tax amount you owe.

Caution: This response assumes that the amount is rollover eligible. Amounts that are not rollover eligible are required to be included in your income; and such amounts can create excess contributions to your IRA if rolled over.

Question answered by Denise Appleby


Keep Learning

Be among the first to know when

IRA Rules